Call 310-277-4857

FAQ – Do I Need An Attorney?

Return to FAQ >>

If your injury is significant, or your damage is substantial, or the question of who is at fault is unclear, you probably need an attorney to represent you.

If you choose, you can attempt to resolve the matter on your own. If you are dealing with an insurance company or a large corporation that is self-insured, they will have a claims adjuster representing its interest. It is the claims adjuster’s job to try to resolve the claim for as little as possible. In order to achieve the best settlement on your own, you will need to send the insurance company documentation of your injuries in the form of medical records or reports, medical bills, loss of earnings and other expenses. If the insurance company refuses to settle the matter, you can always retain an attorney at that time to file a lawsuit. To learn what constitutes legally recognized damages go to What is my case worth?

If a lawsuit needs to be filed, it must be filed within a certain period of time or the claim will be time barred. For related information go to Statute of Limitations: When Must I File My Claim or Lawsuit?

A person can file a lawsuit and represent himself without an attorney. When this happens the person represents himself “in pro per”. Although the law allows an individual to represent himself, a non-lawyer can become easily lost in a maze of legal and procedural rules. For related information go to: What Happens Before, During and After a Lawsuit is Filed?

Cheong & Denove has the extensive resources to handle the most complex legal matters, yet is small enough to offer individualized service to our clients.

We believe the more you know, the better choice you will make.


call for free consultation 310-277-4857

The law firm Cheong & Denove provides legal services to clients  throughout Southern California including the cities and counties of Anaheim, Bakersfield, Beverly Hills, Chula Vista, Garden Grove, Glendale, Inglewood, Irvine, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Murrieta, Newport Beach, Oceanside, Oxnard, Rancho Cucamonga, Riverside, San Diego, Santa Barbara, Santa Monica, Santa Ana, Temecula, Van Nuys, Kern County, Imperial County, Orange County, Riverside County, San Bernardino County, San Diego County and Ventura County.


The materials appearing on this website are provided for informational use only, and are in no way intended to constitute legal advice of this law firm or any of its attorneys. This website is considered attorney advertising.

Our website has been designed for informational purposes and should not cause you to form an expectation about the results that you may achieve based upon your potential legal claim or issue.

Privacy Policy

Phone 310-277-4857
Fax (310) 277-5254

1990 S. Bundy Drive, Suite 420
Los Angeles, CA
Call Now Button